Springtime is March Madness time! While watching the games you need the perfect snacks to munch on while you root for your favorite teams to win! That’s why springtime is pretzel time. This recipe for homemade pretzels are fairly easy to make, and are the perfect snack for game time!
Recipe for Homemade Pretzels
Prep Time: 30-45 mins
Rise Time:50 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Total Time: About 2 hrs
Homemade Pretzels Ingredients
You will need:
- pretzel salt
- 10 total cups of water
- 1 1/2 cups warm water approximately 100- 115 degrees F)
- 1 large egg yolk beaten and mixed with 1 tbsp of water
- 2/3 cups o baking soda
- vegetable oil
- 1 package of active dry yeast ( or 1 tbsp)
- 2 ounces of melted butter
- 4 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
How to Make Homemade Pretzels
- Put the water, sugar, and kosher salt into a mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly.
- Sprinkle the active dry yeast on top, and lightly mix.
- Let the mixture sit for around 5 minutes. You are looking for the mixture to begin foaming.
- Add in the flour and butter. Knead the mixture until the dough is smooth. Do this for about 5 minutes.
- Once the dough is kneaded, remove it from the bowl. Put about a tablespoon of oil in another bowl equal in size, and spread the oil. Then, place the dough in the bowl.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm area for about 50 minutes. You want to wait until the dough has doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Bring the 10 cups of water to a rolling boil. Add in the baking soda prior to boiling.
- Roll out the dough into 8 24 inch ropes onto a lightly oiled pan. Then, fold each rope into a U shape, and cross over each end. Press down to ensure the dough holds its shape.
- Place each homemade pretzel in the boiling water for exactly 30 seconds,k then take it out immediately and place it back onto the pan.
- Once done, brush each pretzel with the egg yolk mixture, and sprinkle with pretzel salt.
- Let bake for 11-15 minutes until golden brown.