Disclosure: I tuned up my car using Gumout products from Walmart, as part of a sponsored post for Socialstars #WalmartAuto
We tend to take plenty of road trip with our kids. We normally like staying in the state of Texas, going to see friends and family. On occasion we stretch the legs on the car and head east or west. Staci and I don’t mind sharing a 18-21 hour trip with the kids on the open road. We like preparing weeks in advance, gathering necessary things and packing up for the trip. But, one thing my Father-in Law always reminded me to do is make sure your “Preparing Your Car for a Road Trip“.
Is Your Car Ready for a Road Trip
It has been many of time we just hop in the vehicle and set sail down the road, not taking into account major hazards we need to address. So today I want to share my Father-in-Law’s key items to check when Preparing Your Car for a Road Trip.
What to Check
- Fluids – Engine oil, transmission oil and gasoline are like life blood to your car. Make sure they are at the proper level to maintain the best performance of your vehicle.
- Hose & Belts – These are like the blood arteries of the human body; they connect the entire system. If there’s a loose connection, you might find yourself hitchhiking before you know it. Make sure all hoses and belts are tightly secured.
- Tires – Your tires are what tie your car to the road. At any given time, your vehicle is touching the pavement only through a few square inches of rubber. Therefore, it’s important that your treads are deep enough to ensure adequate traction.
- Lights – Make sure all headlights, blinkers and interior lights work, because being in the dark can be a bad thing.
- Wipers – Unless you have some sort of fancy vehicle, your car does not come with sonar. So be sure to have fresh windshield wipers to clear the way when driving.
- Brakes – Your car’s braking system is your last line of defense and you need it to be in tiptop shape. Even if you don’t hear them squealing yet, have an expert conduct a thorough inspection. Furthermore, if you feel that your brake pedal is softer than usual, it might be a sign of abnormal deterioration, so have it checked as soon as possible.
- Air Filter – A car needs to breath to operate properly, so changing or cleaning out any unwanted debris from the air filter is a good idea.
- Battery – A good battery makes the difference if you are staying or going. Make sure the your battery is up to snuff for the road trip, and can hold a charge.
Service Your Ride
Take the time to stop by your car care service center like at Walmart Auto. They have certified technicians that are trained to service your vehicles needs. Of you are a do-it-yourself kind of person, get the supplies all in one spot. I find changing my own oil gratifying and fulfilling.
This past week I changed the oil on our ride and treated the fuel system with Gumout All-In-One® Complete Fuel System Cleaner. My Father-in-Law has always used Gumout on his vehicles and trust that it get the job done.
I know that I can feel good when we pull away for our next trip, we should be in good shape. Because, stopping on the side of the road is not where I want to be.