I love making “brunch” as I call it at noon. My favorite dish to prepare for my family at “brunch” is literally a combination of breakfast and lunch. Chicken and Waffles, my husband loves it; and so do my four kids. Now keep in mind you can put whatever sauce you want on the chicken and waffles, because the sauce in this dish is merely a suggestion.
Homemade Chicken and Waffles Recipe
Ingredients you will need:
- For Chicken:
- About 3 1/2 cups Milk
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 chicken legs
- 1- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- For Waffles
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil (or vegetable oil)
- 2 lightly beaten eggs
- For Sauce
- 1 cup butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- For Chicken
- Step One: You want to start by taking the 3 1/2 cups of milk, and 4 chicken legs and placing them in a large bowl to soak. Make sure the milk covers the chicken, and if you need to add more milk to do so then add additional milk. Let soak in the fridge for 1 1/2 hours.
- Step Two: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Step Three: Lightly beat the 5 eggs in a small bowl.
- Step Four: Put chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and flour in a medium bowl. Stir with a fork until combined. If you’d like to add additional spices to your chicken do so, but my family is pretty mild when it comes to seasoning. However, I myself love adding spices to my chicken; so feel free to do so!
- Step Five: Take out the chicken soaked in milk. Dump out the milk. Take each chicken leg, and dip them in the egg first then the seasoned flour mixture. Then, place the chicken breasts in a medium sized baking pan.
- Step Six: Place the chicken in the preheated oven for about 30-40 minutes, or until the floured crust of the chicken appears browned.
- For the Waffles
- Step One: Mix together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
- Step Two: Add in eggs, and canola oil. Blend thoroughly with a mixer. If thinner waffles are desired add in 1/2 cups of water at a time until you achieve the desired thickness.
- Step Three: Now most waffle makers have a light that will come on (or off) when the waffles are cooked, so to cook them use a waffle maker and go by this light. The amount of waffles may vary depending on the size of your waffle maker.
- For the Sauce:
Now my children tend to like a sweeter sauce, however your tastes might be different so feel free to replace the sauce
- Step One: Melt the butter in small pan over medium heat.
- Step Two: Add brown sugar, and thoroughly dissolve brown sugar into butter.
- To Serve:
Serve chicken, waffles, and sauce hot and enjoy!