Disclosure: I received a copy of The Jungle Book Diamond Edition for review. All opinions are my own.
Did you know, Disney’s Jungle Book has been swinging in and out of theaters and families homes for over 40 years? Since then this Disney classic has seen plenty of historical happenings go bye.
- 1968 – Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr., is assassinated in Memphis
- 1969 – Richard Nixon is inaugurated as the president
- 1970 – American Top 40, hosted by radio personality Casey Kasem, which featured a weekly countdown, premiered.
1971 – The Twenty-Sixth Amendment to the Constitution is ratified, lowering the voting age from 21 to 18
- 1973 – The Sears Towers opened in Chicago, becoming the World’s tallest building.
- 1975 – Bill Gates founded Microsoft Corporation.
- 1977 – Jimmy Carter is inaugurated as the president
- 1977 – Elvis Presley, the “King of Rock and Roll”, died at his home in Graceland.
- 1980 – President Carter announces that U.S. athletes will not attend Summer Olympics in Moscow unless Soviet Union withdraws from Afghanistan
- 1981 – Ronald Reagan is inaugurated as the 40th president
- 1986 – Space shuttle Challenger explodes 73 seconds after liftoff, killing all seven crew members
- 1989 – George H. W. Bush is inaugurated as the president
- 1990 – Iraqi troops invade Kuwait, leading to the Persian Gulf War
- 1993 – Bill Clinton is inaugurated as the president
- 2001 – George W. Bush is inaugurated as the 43rd president
- 2001 – Two hijacked jetliners ram twin towers of World Trade Center in worst terrorist attack against U.S.; a third hijacked plane flies into the Pentagon, and a fourth crashes in rural Pennsylvania. More than 3,000 people die in the attacks
- 2003 – Space shuttle Columbia explodes upon reentry into Earth’s atmosphere, killing all seven astronauts on board
- 2006 – The U.S. Census Bureau estimates that the population of the United States has reached 300 million
- 2009 – Barack Obama becomes the first African-American to be elected President
- 2010 – Deepwater Horizon oil spill: The BP oil rig Deepwater Horizon exploded in the Gulf of Mexico, killing 11 workers and spilling 4.9 million barrels of oil into the Gulf
- 2013 – Boston Marathon bombings: Dzhokhar and Tamerlan Tsarnaev explode two devices at the Boston Marathon, killing 3 and injuring 260 more.
It is pretty amazing how much can happen over 40 years, and how it can sculpt a nation. Thankfully we can look back and remember great memories in life.
The Jungle Book Diamond Edition
Disney’s Jungle Book was released in theaters in 1967, and reached millions of families young and old. The Jungle Book helped families explore their wild side, as they enjoy the extraordinary adventures and a heartwarming tale.
Meet the most unforgettable characters and embark on a thrilling adventure with Mowgli as he journeys deep into the jungle and learns “The Bare Necessities” of life from happy-go-lucky Baloo the bear. Meet Bagheera, the wise old panther, and crazy King Louie, the orangutan. But watch out for the cunning tiger Shere Khan and Kaa, the ssssneakiest snake in the jungle!
Now for the first time ever on Blu-ray with glorious digital high definition, Disney’s Jumpin’ Jungle Classic has never looked so lush or sounded so good! Beloved characters, swinging music and new behind-the-scenes bonus features make this Diamond Edition Blu-ray a must-have for every family’s classic collection!