Do you enjoy Mexican food? What is your favorite dish? Me? I love just about all of them.Enchiladas, Carne Asada Tacos, refried beans, Mexican rice, barbacoa, and even a simple plate of nachos. For as long as I can remember, we would go out every Friday night for dinner to our local Mexican food restaurant. So it’s safe to say I have a passion for a little hot and spicy. I guess that is why I married me a little señorita… to cook me up some delicious Mexican food when I want it.
Cinco De Mayo Party Food
With Cinco De Mayo coming up on May 5th, I thought it would be great to share some quick and easy Mexican party food ideas. The original reason to celebrate Cinco De Mayo was due to the Mexican army’s 1862 victory over France at the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican War (1861-1867). Now Mexican-Americans generally celebrate both their culture and heritage. Cinco de Mayo traditions can include parades, mariachi music performances and even full-blown street festivals in cities and towns across both Mexico and the United States.
- 4 7 – 8 inches Flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese or Mexican cheese blend
- 1 4 ounce can diced green chiles, drained
- 1 18 ounce tub refrigerated barbecue sauce with shredded chicken (2 cups)
- 1 cup Taco Bell hot sauce
- 1/4 cup dairy sour cream
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion (2)
1. Coat one side of each tortilla with cooking spray. Place, coated sides down, on cutting board or waxed paper. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the cheese over half of each tortilla. Top with green chiles and barbecue sauce with chicken. Fold tortillas in half, pressing gently.
2. Preheat oven to 350. In a hot 10-inch skillet cook quesadillas, two at a time, over medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Place quesadillas on a baking sheet. Keep warm in preheated oven for up to 30 minutes. Repeat with remaining quesadillas. Cut each quesadilla into 3 wedges. Serve with salsa, sour cream, and green onion. Makes 4 servings.
Mini Mexican Pizzas
- 3-4 large whole wheat tortillas, or enough to cut out 12 small circles
- 1 cup lean ground turkey, cooked (or lean ground beef)
- 1/2 cup Taco Bell hot sauce of choice
- 2 tsp dry taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup low fat refried beans
- 1/2 cup low fat shredded mexican blend or 2% cheddar cheese
- Optional Toppings: sliced black olives, shredded lettuce, low fat sour cream, chopped tomatoes
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a 12 count muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Start by laying each tortilla out individually on a flat surface, and use an empty can, glass cup, or cookie cutter to cut 3-4 medium circles out of each wrap.
3. Press each wrap circle into muffin tin using your fingers. (Note: it doesn’t have to cover the entire side of the tin, it should just fit snuggly!)
4. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together the ground meat, salsa, taco seasoning, and refried beans. Stir until well combined.
5. Scoop 1/8th cup of meat mixture into each wrap.
6. Top with shredded cheese, dividing evenly between each pizza, and adding olives, if desired.
7. Bake in pre-heated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
8. Wait for mini Mexican pizzas to cool, and remove from muffin tin using a fork or knife. Pizzas should pop out with ease! Serve with a side of salsa, low fat sour cream, chopped tomatoes, and/or shredded lettuce if desired!
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- about 50 Tostitos Tortilla Scoops
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed
- 3/4 cup Taco Bell hot sauce
- 2 green onions, minced
- In a small bowl, combine cream cheese, sour cream, garlic, oregano, and chili powder.
- Place scoops on a serving platter and fill with the beans, distributing evenly.
- Add the salsa and top with a small dollop of the cream cheese mixture. Evenly sprinkle the green onions over the tops.
- Serve and enjoy!