I think most of us grew up eating cinnamon rolls from the can that you pop on the counter edge to open. After baking the pre-made rolls, they were topped with sweet icing that melted as you spread it on top of the hot rolls.
Easy Cinnamon Rolls
These are really good, but I always wanted to know how to make easy cinnamon rolls from scratch. I have a recipe that is not only easy but delicious. The trick is to use bread dough that you can find in the freezer section of your local market.
After thawing and rolling out the dough, you fill it with all the classic cinnamon roll ingredients: brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, and nuts if you like. Roll it up, slice into portions, and allow to rise so they double in size and become light and airy. While the rolls are baking, make a sweet topping that you can drizzle over the hot rolls.
I’ll explain everything you need for easy cinnamon rolls and step-by-step directions for how to make them.
What You Need
- 1 loaf frozen bread dough, thawed
- 2/3 cups brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
How to Make Easy Cinnamon Rolls
- Roll dough into a rectangle shape and brush with the melted butter.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon, and chopped nuts then layer over the dough.
- Then starting with the long end, roll the dough up into a log.
- Moisten edges with a little water to seal.
- Then cut the roll into slices.
- Place rolls into lightly buttered cake pans and set aside at room temperature.
- Allow rising for approximately 1 ½ hour (dough will have doubled).
- Finally, pour the heavy cream over rolls and bake at 350F for approximately 25 to 30 minutes.
- Combine sugar, milk, and vanilla and drizzle over rolls during the last 5 minutes of baking.