When growing up I spent many, if not all, holidays with my family at my grandparent’s house. Holidays for me were primarily about spending time with loved ones, reflecting on the years we have had together, being thankful for all that we have been given and filling ourselves with delicious cooking! The first dessert I ever learn to prepare was this Traditional Apple Pie recipe; I have yet to find a party that an apple pie doesn’t belong at. This warm cinnamon covered treat has always been a classic, one with many ways of perfection. Today you will discover my family’s perfect execution of the Traditional Apple Pie. Enjoy!
Ingredients for Piecrust:
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Optional small festive cookie cutter
Ingredients for Apple Pie:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 8 Granny Smith apples – peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, white sugar and brown sugar, spices, and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer.
- Take the butter and cinnamon dedicated to the piecrust, mix together in a microwave safe bowl, and heat for 30 seconds of until melted. Place the bottom crust in your pan, and then spread half of the melted mixture on the crust. Brush throughout the whole bottom and up the sides of the crust. Next, Fill with apples, mounded slightly. Gently pour the sugar, spice and butter liquid over the apples. Pour slowly so that it does not run off.
- Take the top piecrust and lay out flat on the counter, with a knife cut twelve long pieces. Places six pieces on going north to south on top of your apples, then six going west to east on top the others. Take a fork and gentle press on the edge of your pie, slowly scraping away the extra piecrust. (With whatever extra dough I have, I will roll out again and cut small festive shapes on and place on top of the crossed piecrust. The stars I pressed on gave a greater illusion than the traditional top crust.) Bush on the remaining melted butter and cinnamon mixture until your crust in completely covered.
- Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes, until apples are soft. Cool on a wire rack. Top with apple pies best friend, Vanilla Ice Cream! Yield: 8 servings.