The warm weather is here and that means there are many outside celebrations coming up. Picnics, birthday parties, lounging by the pool… whatever you may find yourself doing to have a little fun in the sun. As long as it involves some sort of food, you can typically find me there. But, since the heat is on outside, I don’t like to find myself with too much heat in the kitchen. That is how these fun Mini Apple Pies come into play.
Mini Apple Pies
Simple is best around here. We have kids going in different directions, Staci and I going in different directions, we need a way to spend more time doing rather than cooking. These great-tasting little pies not only make baking easy, they also make eating easy. Less to clean up afterward!
- (3) frozen pie crusts – thawed and softened (or feel free to make your own, of course)
- 1 can of Apple pie filling (again, feel free to make your own from fresh apples)
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray muffin tins with cooking spray to prepare for baking.
- Take 2 of the pie crusts and roll into a ball. Use a rolling pin to flatten out dough and then cut large circles for mini pie crusts. (We used the top of a wide-mouth glass).
- Position each circular cut piece of dough into a muffin tin space and press gently to create a mini pie mold.
- Open the can of apple pie filling and cut into smaller pieces (we found this allowed us to put more into each pie without overwhelming the small size).
- Scoop the pie filling into each mini mold.
- Using the last frozen pie crust, roll it out flat. Cut thin slices to be used for lattice on top of the pies. Position the slices anyway you desire. You may even want to cut a small circle and perhaps cut designs into the top. The options are endless.
- Melt 2 tbsps of butter and add cinnamon and sugar, to taste. Brush the melted mixture onto the top of each mini pie, making sure to pour a little into the pie filling as you brush.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy.
Maybe even throw in a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a great “a la mode” treat!