Over the last four weeks I haven taken on a new challenge, a challenge like a lot of people accept at the beginning of every year. For 2014, I have set out to lose weight and live a healthier lifestyle. Actually Staci and I have visited with a Registered Dietitian and she gave us some tips and recipes to help our mission. Overall, as a family we have switched gears to improve our eating habits, and make healthier decisions.
My 7 Steps to Starting My Day Off Right
For me, I feel the mornings are my power hours to eat right, and make the most of the energy I have. A few key pieces that are working well for me are:
- Get a good nights sleep, wake up fully refreshed and ready to tackle the day
- If I know I will be pressed for time in the morning, prepare my breakfast the night before
- Everyday, I would have 8 ounces of fat free milk, the protein alone provided a nice kick start
- Have a smart breakfast, that properly fueled my body to start the day
- Take a walk around the neighborhood, or park further way from the building if I went into town
- I received a Fitbit Flex to help jump start our fitness regime
- Lastly I got an accountability partner (Staci), to keep me motivated and still going
A Healthier Family
For the longest time, I thought that as long as we put food on the table that the kids would eat, then everything is fine. Now, with agencies and companies running independent study’s about eating habits and what not. I come to realize that I need to be more mind full of what we are putting on the table.
So together, Staci and I have pledge to start making small improvements in our family diet, and removing unnecessary food/drink items. Starting in February we are looking to faze out soft drinks, and substitute with low-fat milk, tea, or water. This will end up being a huge switch for our family, but still feel it is do able.
With tips and ideas we have learned from Robin Plotkin, RD, LD, we are also working to make other lifestyle changes throughout the year. In an effort to maintain our current eating plan, we will continue to incorporate the 90 second scrambled eggs and overnight oats into our mornings.
Recipes from Robin
Here a few recipes that Robin shared with our family, that helped us think outside the box of eating. Thanks to Robin for all her help and advise in this time of change for our family.
Breakfast Quinoa To-Go
Strawberry Salad with Almonds and Feta
Edamame, Tomato and Basil Salad
Eat Your Fruits and Vegetables Month: So, Make Some Pizza Recipes
Roasted Corn, Shrimp and Avocado Salad