The 2018 Volkswagen Atlas was named the Best Family SUV by the Northwest Automotive Press Association (NWAPA) at the 2018 Outdoor Activity Vehicle of the Year competition. Editors at Parents magazine praised the Atlas for the six-year or 72,000 mile warranty. Why is this SUV worthy of such accolades? I was curious, so I test drove an Atlas recently. My interest in evolving SUVs is always peaked as a dad of 5 who needs plenty of space with safety always in mind.
The Atlas is spacious and offers some great configurability. This car is also pretty resilient on and off road. Since we do travel by car often, including outdoor adventures, we need an SUV that is roomy and flexible on different terrains. It also has the look and feel of a sturdy, yet sophisticated, SUV.
This Volkswagen is the brand’s first three-row SUV, designed specifically for the American family. It is the brainchild of Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. located in Herndon, VA. The car is assembled in the state-of-the-art plant in Chattanooga, Tenn. I do like that this is an American made product.
Attractive Features for Families
Power, Space, and Amenities
- Available with either a 2.0-liter, turbocharged, four-cylinder engine, or a 3.6-liter V6 engine.
- 4Motion® all-wheel-drive system.
- Six-year or 72,000 mile warranty.
- With the 2nd and 3rd rows folded down, the Atlas has 96.8 cubic feet of cargo space.
- A panoramic sunroof runs almost the length of all three rows, letting the outdoors in. We all need sunlight.
- Hands-free Easy Open power liftgate.
- Equipped with an entertainment system and an App-Connect1 compatible with your Smartphone via a touchscreen.
- The 5,000-lb towing capacity is a plus.
- Overhead View Camera (Area View) and Rearview Camera System.
- Pedestrian Monitoring (included in Front Assist) to help alert you if a pedestrian is headed into the vehicle’s forward path
- Specially alloyed high-strength steel incorporated into the exterior body panels to help enhance its sturdiness and add protection from collision damage.
The Volkswagen Atlas SUV offers a smooth driving experience. The interior expresses a European design aesthetic. And, the ride feels like a luxury car. This is also a workhorse that performs well in off-road environments. This is perfect for the family that enjoys daily driving, car camping, and wants to bring the dog along. The price is better than or comparable to other SUVs in the same class and size of vehicles.