I think we can all agree that traveling is the soul’s remedy. There’s nothing more liberating than flying to a new city and exploring new places. These have been less than fortunate times to live in for travel (and a lot of other things too).
Get Around When You Travel To A New City
However, after taking our COVID-19 vaccines and the reopening of international travel, we’re all ready to travel and cross the borders.
Whether you’re moving to a new city or traveling for leisure, you may be feeling a bit anxious. It’s totally normal to feel dazed when visiting a new city, we’ve all found ourselves getting lost and wandering around unfamiliar places during our trips.
Nonetheless, if you’re not a spontaneous person and like to plan ahead or have a bit of an idea about where you’re going, here’s your ultimate guide that will help you get a feel of any new city.
The Internet is Your Friend
We no longer need books and maps to learn about new countries or cities. You have all the information you need at your fingertips. Before you travel to a new city you have to do your research. Here’s how you can research your destination:
- Travel bloggers: There are thousands of travel bloggers everywhere on social media; Facebook, Instagram, and Tiktok. You can always check travel posts by bloggers who’ve been to your destination. This will help you gain perspective and learn from their experiences. Their recommendations can be very helpful. However, make sure that these posts are not sponsored so that you can get an honest opinion with no sugar coating and biased reviews. You can also email your favorite travel bloggers and ask them specific questions and they might be happy to help.
- Wikitravel: Looking at Wikitravel articles before you travel can help you gather important information. For instance, you can learn more about Tourist and Student Visas and how long they last in the city where you’re headed. You can also find informative guides for what activities to do, where to stay, and where to eat.
- Podcasts: If you’re a fan of podcasts, you can try listening to travel podcasts about the city you have in mind.
- TripAdvisor: TripAdvisor is one of the most popular travel sites where you can find hotel reviews, restaurant reviews, and tourist attractions. You can read about what people have to say about the top attractions and decide for yourself based on the ratings. TripAdvisor can help you choose the best travel and tour agencies as well.
- Youtube Videos: Youtube videos are a great way to see the city in real life before you actually go. You can find a plethora of travel vlogs and documentaries that will help you decide what you want to do on your trip.
- Travel groups: Joining travel groups on social media and gathering tips from people can help you make the best out of your trip.
Don’t forget to learn some words and phrases with the help of the Internet so you can easily communicate with the locals.
Eat at Local Restaurants
As touristy as it may sound, trying out what locals eat is a must when you travel to a new city. Not only will you be going out like a local, but you’ll also be exploring new cultures and trying new authentic food.
If you’ve ever been to Sweden and tried out Surströmming; the smelliest fish in the world, or Tuna eyeballs in Japan, you probably have some interesting stories to tell your family and friends.
If you’re short on time and have a lot of plans on your mind, you can search for private taxi services and save yourself some time and effort. Many cities have great and affordable private taxi services that can pick you up from your location.
If you’re traveling to or from Bratislava, Bratislava airport taxi transfer prices can be very reasonable and are always fixed. That way you can be aware of transportation prices in advance and plan your budget. These services are safer than local taxi drivers who can also rip you off.
When you arrive at your destination, open Facebook, then select the “Explore” option. By entering your location, you can click on “events” and find the events happening in your area, like festivals, parties, galleries, and concerts. That way you can talk to strangers, make new friends, and never miss out on cool events in the city.
Traveling to a new city allows you to disconnect from your everyday life and make new memories. If you do your homework and know your way around a new city, that’s a major plus for you, because you can explore more places and feel like an adventurer.
Most importantly, don’t stress out, embrace your touristy side, follow these tips, and we guarantee that you’ll make the best out of your travel experience.