Disclosure: I am a Netgear Ambassador and received a Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router for review purposes. All opinions are my own.
For the longest time, ever since broadband internet was birthed, both Staci and I have been avid users of the World Wide Web. We obviously survived the dail-up era, and struggled with DSL and all it has to offer. So now we are sitting comfortable with a whooping 110 mbps that is channeled through a cable modem. With all that said, I chalk everything up to upgrades in technology to get us where we are now.
Over time we have evolved with our wireless routers, to provide the best household coverage. I mean 3-5 years ago I would have never thought that I would be watching movies from an online provider on one computer. Let alone, 3 laptops, 2 tablets, and 2 to HDTV. Now my kids have progressed into online gaming with their XBox 360, and the previous wireless router struggled to keep up with the load.
Recently Netgear asked me to test and review one of their newest Smart WiFi routers, the Netgear Nighthawk Smart WiFi Router AC1900. The Netgear AC1900 sure does live up to it name, as to being SMART. The Netgear Nighthawk Smart Router has to be the easiest router I have ever setup, and maneuver internally for adjustments. The coverage in our 2 story home of almost 2500 sqft is saturated by the wireless signal of the AC1900. So no dead spots here, or outside of the house.
Other than the shear speed, and versatility of the Netgear Nighthawk Smart WiFi Router I am impressed with the consistent performance. As a tech driven family of seven, we can really push the limits of our broadband service. I would highly recommend this Smart Router to anyone, even if they are content with their current wireless router.
Lets Get Technical – Netgear Nighthawk Smart Wifi Router
- AC1900 WiFi—600+1300 Mbps† speeds
- 1GHz Dual Core Processor
- Advanced features for lag-free gaming
- Prioritized bandwidth for streaming videos or music
- 100% faster for mobile devices
- Implicit and Explict Beamforming improves range and performance for both 2.4 and 5GHz devices
- High powered amplifiers & antennas to extend your WiFi coverage
- Upstream & downstream QoS for best gaming & video streaming experience
- Airtime fairness prevents network lag when slower devices connect
- Free automatic backup software for Windows® PC & Time Machine® compatible for Macs
- Customized free URL to set up personal FTP server
- On/off LED lights option
- NETGEAR genie makes getting the most out of your home network fun & easy. More than three million downloads of the genie App lets users easily monitor, connect & control their home network from a PC, Mac, tablet or smartphone. With NETGEAR genie you can share & stream music or videos, diagnose & repair network issues, set up parental controls & more.
- Wi-Fi Protected Access® (WPA/WPA2—PSK) and WEP
- VPN support—secure remote access
- Guest network access—separate & secure
- WiFi Protected Access® (WPA/WPA2—PSK)
- Double firewall protection (SPI and NAT)
- Denial-of-service (DoS) attack prevention
- Two (2) USB ports—one (1) USB 3.0 & one (1) USB 2.0 port
- IEEE® 802.11 b/g/n 2.4GHz + 256 QAM support
- IEEE® 802.11 a/n/ac 5.0GHz
- Five (5) 10/100/1000 Mbps—(1 WAN & 4 LAN) Gigabit Ethernet ports
What do you like/dislike about your wireless router? Do you need to upgrade?
Follow Netgear on Facebook and Twitter for some great information about Netgear products and services.