Disclosure: I received an all-expense paid trip to Los Angeles from Disney along with a copy of Super Buddies on Blu-Ray. This is my review and experience, all opinions are mine.
When I was in LA with Disney, we met one of the trainers that works with the Super Buddies cast. He brought Rosebud, with him to take pictures and do a little Q & A. Ray Beal, the trainer, explained a few different things about the Buddies’ cast as well as how it is working with their adopted canine friends.
5 Things I Learned
- Disney will work with breeders to adopt anywhere between 20 to 30 dogs during a filming.
- A “Buddy’s” movie career normally only lasts 4 or 5 weeks until they retire due to out growing the character.
- One puppy may play the part of Rosebud one day… and then Mudbud the other.
- The trainers work with each one of the cast pups and know which one may sit better, rollover easier, or just speak on command the way the director needs. One trainer stays with their “Buddy” one at a time, so there could be 5 canine trainers behind the camera signaling their pup during a scene. Ray said “it can be challenging” with all of the commands.
- When a film is done and the pups are ready to retire, Disney makes sure to find the best homes for each of their Buddies.
Super Buddies on Blu-Ray and DVD August 27
Disney’s beloved and adorable “Buddies” are back in a hilarious all-new movie for the whole family — SUPER BUDDIES debuts August 27, 2013, on Blu-ray™ Combo Pack and DVD. An action-packed canine adventure, ‘Super Buddies’ stars the world’s most adorable talking puppies – Rosebud, B-Dawg, Budderball, Buddha and Mudbud, as caped crusaders ’em barkin’ on their biggest adventure ever.
An ordinary day at Fernfield Farms turns extraordinary when Budderball, Mudbud, B-Dawg, Buddha and Rosebud discover mysterious rings that grant them each a unique super power. Before you can say, “Buddies, assemble,” the pups unleash their amazing abilities and race to the rescue when a shape-shifting bully from outer space threatens the planet. But can they succeed in kicking major tail without revealing their new secret identities?
A must-own movie event packed with laughter, action and incredible new characters, “SUPER BUDDIES” proves when you use your wits and work together, you don’t need super powers to be a super hero!
We sat down with our younger girls to watch Super Buddies a few nights ago and they really enjoyed the canine characters. Each of the girls reacted to of the different super hero roles based on their favorites. I think Rosebud was the most “out of this world hit” with them. The girls loved that she could move super fast and, of course, that her outfit was pink. We have seen Spooky Buddies, Santa Buddies, and Snow Buddies… which all revolve around friendship and working together. Super Buddies reiterated that theme and was a fun, family-friendly movie to watch with my kids.
Stay connected with the latest news and information by following the hashtag #SuperBuddies