Disclosure: All posts must include the following disclaimer: The reviewer has been compensated in the form of a Best Buy Gift Card and/or received the product/service at a reduced price or for free
I love the smells of fall, especially the ones coming from something sweet and spicy baking in the oven. That always seems to draw everyone in the family to the kitchen, which is the center of our home.
Fall Desserts – Apple Pie
One of my favorite things to bake is apple pie. There is a super easy apple pie recipe that is designed with kids in mind so they can help make it.
What you need:
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 egg white
- 8 large Golden Delicious apples (peeled, cored and thinly-sliced)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
How to make it:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Unfold one of the pie crusts into a 9-inch pie plate. Brush with egg white (this prevents the crust from getting soggy). Let the egg white dry while you prepare the filling.
- Toss apples with remaining ingredients. Place apples closely together into prepared crust.
- Unfold the second prepared pie crust over the apples, tucking the excess under the bottom crust. Now crimp the edges with your fingers.
- Cut 3-4 slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape. Brush the top of the crust with any remaining egg whites (optional).
- Cover the pie loosely with a sheet of aluminum foil.
- Bake 10 minutes. Remove the foil, lower the temperature to 375 degrees Fahrenheit, and bake another 30-40 minutes.
- Once finished baking, set pie aside to cool.
- Slice and serve
I like to bake apple pie in a conventional oven while dinner is cooking faster in a convection oven. The timing just seems to work so that fall dessert is hot and ready right after the table is cleared from dinner.
The LG ProBake is a double oven and range that is perfect for baking fall desserts. The lower oven circulates air throughout, allowing for pies to cook evenly. This results in a flakier crust with a steaming hot filling. The upper convection oven speeds up cooking times for roasting meats and vegetables or for when I am sure the kids can’t wait to dive into the pie we are baking. In that case, I can bake a pie in the lower oven and whip up a batch of cookies from prepared, refrigerated dough in minutes in the convection oven to satisfy the anxious little ones.
I also find the LG InstaView™ Door-in-Door refrigerator to make life easier and more energy efficient. With a large family it is great to be able to see inside the fridge and not have the door opened and closed multiple times. The sleek glass panel illuminates the interior with two quick knocks on the right-hand refrigerator door, allowing you to see inside the easy-access compartment without ever opening the door.