Preparing breakfast for your family the night before has become such a trend these days. Easy overnight oats often come to mind. How about overnight French toast? This recipe is for a rich and decadent baked breakfast dish reminiscent of bread pudding.
Wondering how to make this? It is easy. Brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup are the sweet and creamy base. Bread slices sink into the base while eggs and milk top the bread for an added textural layer. Just cover the baking dish and refrigerate overnight. The bread becomes soft while soaking in all these flavors. Simply bake the casserole in the morning and serve while bubbling hot right out of the oven.
Here you will find all the ingredients you need and directions for how to make overnight French Toast.
What You Need
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 12 Slices of white bread (crusts trimmed)
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk
- 6 Large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
How to Make Overnight French Toast
- Combine corn syrup, butter and brown sugar in a saucepan and simmer gently until the sugar melts.
- Pour this mixture into the bottom of a greased 9×12 inch casserole dish.
- Place the bread slices over the sugar mixture. In a separate bowl beat together eggs, milk, vanilla and salt.
- Pour egg mixture over bread. Cover the dish and let stand overnight in refrigerator.
- The following morning, preheat over to 350F. Uncover the casserole dish and bake for approximately 45 minutes.
- This is a basic french toast recipe that’s very versatile.
Try adding slivered almonds into the egg mixture. You can also add sliced strawberries, blueberries or even chocolate chips!