Disclosure: We were loaned the Ford C-MAX Energi for 7 days in order to facilitate this review. No other compensation was given. All opinions are 100% my own.
Do you want to save money at the pump? Of course you do. We all do. The week we test drove the 2013 Ford C-MAX Energi we put over 800 miles on it without adding a drop of gasoline. In fact, when we returned the car, it still had over a quarter of a tank left. Not bad at all in today’s economy.
Ford C-MAX Energi
The newly designed 2013 Ford C-MAX Energi is a plug-in hybrid. This “hybrid plus” was designed by the Ford Motor Company to deliver maximum efficiency by combining an advanced battery and electric motor with a gasoline engine.
- The Ford C-MAX Energi is engineered to drive farther without fueling, because the engine does not run all the time
- C-MAX Energi new 2.0L hybrid I-4 powertrain that is combined with the electric motor to generate a projected 188 total horsepower
- With the best combined MPGe in its class the Ford C-MAX Energi kicks out an EPA-estimated 100 combined MPGe
- Plug-in capability allows you to charge the battery, using either a standard 120-volt or a 240-volt outlet
- EV mode button allows the driver to easily switch between all-electric power, all gas power or a combination of both
During our test drive we absolutely fell in love with this vehicle for several reasons. Let me tell you a few of my favorites.
- EPA-estimated 100 combined MPGe – What is an MPGe? MPGe is based on how much gasoline and electricity would be used to generate an equal amount of energy. 33 kWh =1 Gallon of Gas
- Regenerative Braking – The Ford C-MAX Energi’s motor becomes an electric generator by converting mechanical energy into electrical energy when braking. This friction regenerates energy back into the car.
- EV mode button – You have the option to change how you drive the C-MAX Energi. A push of this button allows the vehicle to drive in either electric mode, gas mode, or a combination of both.
- Charging port with LED ring – The plug-in capability of the hybrid allows you to fully charge the C-MAX Energi easily in under three hours. There are 240-volt charging stations available, or you can charge it overnight using a standard 120-volt outlet found in your home.
- Next-generation SmartGauge® with EcoGuide – The dual LCD gauge and guide system found inside the C-MAX is a wealth of knowledge of your vehicle. With two D-Pads on the steering wheel you can navigate through each of the Efficiency coach screens. The different screens include: Inform, Enlighten, Engage or Empower. Each one works to inform you how you are driving the C-MAX Energi.
There you have it! I am not a “hybrid” expert (yet) but did learn a lot about them during the week. I have only test driven one or two prior to driving the Ford C-MAX Energi for those few days. I can definitely picture myself driving this Hybrid Plus vehicle with my family though. The style, safety, versatility, and technology make it a complete package for us. Plus, Staci was impressed with all of the safety and technology features offered on the C-MAX Energi. So, it would not be hard to get her on board with owning it. Hmmm… wonder how we could make that happen?
Be sure to follow Staci (@7onashoestring) and I (@dodomesticdad) on Twitter to learn about the most recent Ford vehicle we are driving. You can also follow the #FordTX hashtag and read what others have to say. Like Ford on Facebook to stay connected and discover other new vehicles, as well as stay connected with Ford on Twitter for updates and fun facts.