“The environment is where we all meet; where all have a mutual interest; it is the one thing all of us share.” —Lady Bird Johnson
For several years our family would do a little something special on Earth Day to remember how important it is to us. I remember one year we planted a tree at MaMaw and PaPaw’s house. Other years we would join in a city-wide clean up and properly dispose of oil, old electronics, tires, paint and batteries.
Earth Day 2014
We are lucky to be able to live close to a lake and we can take our walks near the water. Unfortunately, we also come across all sorts of trash and debris from campers, boaters, or just lazy people not willing to pick up after themselves.
“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.” –Native American Proverb
I am proud of my kids when I see them getting excited about Earth Day just because they get it. They understand that saving a tree, preserving the ozone, or recycling is helping to a keep the Earth a better place for us all to live.
“A nation that destroys its soils destroys itself. Forests are the lungs of our land, purifying the air and giving fresh strength to our people.” —Franklin D. Roosevelt
Both Jaden and Jaci love the idea of a hybrid vehicle that uses electricity to run, like the 2014 Lexus RX450h. The girls were excited to know that we would be sporting a hybrid SUV during the week of Earth Day. They feel like they are doing their part in reducing emissions (they call it smoke) and conserving fuel.
“The RX 450h hybrid luxury utility vehicle won the Best Hybrid SUV for the Money.” – U.S. News & World Reports
The RX 450h can operate in electric-only, gas-engine-only, or combined gas and electric modes. The Hybrid Synergy Drive combines the power of a 3.5-liter Atkinson-cycle V6 engine with a front-mounted 116-kW electric motor generator, with power from both channeled through a planetary-type continuously variable transmission. The model with all-weather drive uniquely powers the rear wheels with a dedicated 50-kW electric motor, and this combination yields even quicker performance. Each component working together to make the hybrid luxury utility vehicle safer for the environment and powerful enough to get down the road.
Over the past few days driving the Lexus RX450h, we have experienced a superb ride and excellent gas saving fuel economy. I could mention the long list of features and equipment that the Lexus RX450h has to offer, but for Earth Day I want to share the perks of driving a hybrid vehicle. As mentioned above, the multi-motors of the Lexus RX450h give it a range of fuel savings options.
“Environmentally friendly cars will soon cease to be an option…they will become a necessity.” –Fujio Cho, President of Toyota Motors
If you are looking to maximize your fuel savings, I would recommend switching out of sport mode and activating ECO-Mode. This is easily done through the steering wheel command center that displays on the dash instrument cluster. I was able to stretch my MPG to an average of 29.7 with a best of 32.4 on the highway. Being able to switch to the EV-Mode as I cruised through the neighborhood at a slow speed (stealth mode and saves my gas) has been great. I have arrived at the decision that this hybrid SUV definitely holds true to being fuel saver.
With a hybrid vehicle, the ride can actually be a little rough due to the extra weight of the batteries or added electric motors. With the Lexus RX450h, this is not the case. On both the highway and side roads, the steering and comfort was above-and-beyond my expectations. The Lexus RX family has a long line of award winning moments that seems to continue through each one of their models.
- Engine: 3.5L V6 DOHC 24-Valve VVT-i Engine
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- Double Wishbone Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Regenerative 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Panic Brake Assist and Hill Hold Control
- Transmission: Electronically Controlled CVT
- 17.2 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Power Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Fully Automatic Projector Beam Halogen Daytime Running Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- LED Brakelights
- Wheels: 18 x 7.5 5-Spoke Aluminum
- Chrome Grille & Chrome Side Windows Trim
- Front Bucket Seats -inc: 10-way power driver’s and front passenger’s seat w/fore-aft slide, fore-aft recline, front vertical height, rear vertical height, power lumbar support and driver’s seat easy exit (auto away/return)
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage and 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Engine Immobilizer
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, 4 Door Curb/Courtesy, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Traction Battery Level, Power/Regen, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- 40-20-40 Folding Split-Bench Front Facing Manual Reclining Fold Forward Seatback Cloth Rear Seat
- Radio: Prem AM/FM Audio w/In-Dash 6-CD Autochanger -inc: 9 speakers, antenna integrated into rear spoiler, digital power amplifier, integrated SiriusXM satellite radio receiver w/complimentary 90-day trial subscription and USB/iPod control
- w/Seek-Scan, MP3 Player, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Steering Wheel Controls and Radio Data System
- Side Impact Beams
- First Aid Kit
- Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags & Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
I am grateful that my family and I were able to enjoy the 2014 Lexus RX450h this Earth Day. I know my daughters appreciate the fact that they are doing their part in helping to save the earth one drive at a time. I appreciate the fact that I can teach them more about being energy efficient and driving smart through the features found on the hybrid SUV.