This post for Double Crust Chicken Pot Pie has been sponsored by Pepto-Bismol. All opinions are my own. #PinkRelief
Double Crust Chicken Pot Pie
In the winter time warm home-cooked meals are just the best! Double Crust Chicken Pot Pie is the perfect winter time dish to serve, and the deliciousness of this dish will leave you wanting seconds…and even thirds! Good thing Pepto-Bismol can fix stomach troubles fast in case you enjoy a little too much of this dish. Here is a fantastic Double Chicken Pot Pie recipe that will warm, and fill the bellies of your family and friends.
Cook Time: 45-60min
Total Time: 1hr 45min- 2hr
You will need:
- 3 large chicken breasts
- 1 can of canned green beans
- 1 can of cut carrots
- 1 can canned sweet corn
- 32 oz of chicken broth
- 6 cups self rising flour
- 1 tblsp. baking soda
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 3 cups milk
- Begin by filling a large pot full of water, and then place in the chicken in the water to boil. Set a timer for 30 minutes.
- Get out a large mixing bowl. Put 6 cups of self rising flour in the bowl with 1 1/2 tbsp. of baking soda. Mix together with a fork.
- Put 3/4 cup of butter, and 3/4 cup shortening in the flour bowl. Use a mixer on low speed to mix the flour, butter, and shortening together. Mix until the butter and shortening is fairly evenly mixed into the flour. Add more shortening and butter if needed.
- Add in 3 cups of milk, and use a fork to mix in the milk. You want a dough consistency, so if more milk needs to be added to achieve this, do so.
- Check the chicken when the timer goes off. Cut open the chicken to check if it’s done. You will know the chicken is done when there is no pink/ rawness in the middle. If the chicken is not done leave it in the pot, check periodically until done. When the chicken is done, strain it.
- Roll out the dough. Lightly flour the surface prior to rolling out the dough. Roll out the dough to about a 1/2- 1 inch thickness. Get out a medium round cake pan, and the dough onto the pan cutting the remaining dough. Set the remaining dough aside.
- Pour the 32oz of chicken broth into a medium pot.
- Open up the canned peas, corn, and green beans. Drain the excess liquid from the cans. Pour the peas, corn, and green beans into the chicken broth. Add in 2 tbsp. of salt, and 2 tbsp. of pepper into the chicken broth. Let cook over medium- high heat.
- Once the chicken is done, cut the chicken into small pieces. Then, add in the cut chicken into the broth mixture.
- Pour the broth mixture into the medium pan. Fill until the mixture is a little bit below overflowing.
- Roll out the remaining dough, and cover the top of the pan. Pinch the dough together around the edges. Use a knife to put diagonal slits in the dough.
- Place in the oven for 45-60 minutes, or until the crust is browned.